Apr 3, 2015

Driving Up from Missoula

I.

To my right
I see the worst storm
dark colliding with the mountains.

To my left
the sun is beaming on
cows grazing in Spring pastures.

Above me the sky is perfectly gray.


II.

Remember when you were always
sulking in my shotgun?
I’d look across the car
and have no idea how to reach you.

What?             What?
You sat with a magpie silence.
I could never predict
the storms blowing in.

I’m sure my laughter was grating.
My prodding. Times like those
I wished I kept a tin can telephone
in my car. I could have whispered

down a taut line to you
something sweet and summer
air you could can
and open when you needed.

Maybe you just needed
to brood in my car for a while.
I didn’t appreciate it.
I didn’t want to stand

under the clouds hanging over your head.
I’m sorry I couldn’t shake this feeling
it was my fault. Always my fault.
But you never said that.


III.

Pull up to a dark house,
crawl into an empty bed,
lie there like an animal

remembering the breath
and warmth of some mammal
who used to sleep here.

Remember waking to dreams
that had us clawing the air,
barking at each other

when all I wanted to do was

be quiet with you.




No comments:

Post a Comment