Apr 9, 2015

A Night in Spokane

Three hundred miles away from my cares
and my cares, admittedly, aren’t very stressful.
But. It is amazing what being in a strange place
will do for your carelessness.
I’ve got a case of the Ha-ha-has
and I’m ready to talk to anyone
about anything.

There’s a short man with glasses,
a ponytail down to his belt,
a beard down to his nipples,
and a belly down to his crotch
stacking glasses in the little kitchen next to the bar,
which is in an old radiator garage.
Who needs to care?
70-some-odd years and each of us
goes the same way.
Why is everyone so frantic so often
about so many
insignificant
things?

More often than not,
more often than I’d like to admit,
the answer is
money.
Y’know, I’ve got some money
in a savings account
and my income is steady and enough.
I’m blessed. Now
say I suddenly have
a stabbing pain in my side,
my gall bladder goes out,
or I feel tired all the time, then
it’d be a different, dire story.
I might be freaking out.

Oh well.
70-some-odd years
and none of that would matter anymore.
All of my debts
forgiven
to the detriment of the US taxpayer.
But I don’t know them or owe them
anything,
and most of their pennies are going towards
blowing people up overseas
anyways, so

let’s lift a glass
and toast

to all our cares,
the ones that truly matter

and let’s drown
all the ones that don’t

and let’s learn
to live lives that

every second
truly matter to us.




No comments:

Post a Comment