Jan 20, 2013

So Now


I get paid
to crumple up
children’s drawings
and throw them in the garbage.

Covered in ketchup,
drizzled with balsamic,
crayon hand tracings
and tic-tac-toe.

My favorite restaurants
when I was three feet tall
were any with paper laid over the tablecloths.
I always pictured

the waiter,
after we left,
taking the greasy salty paper off the table, and
upon spotting

my doodles,
he’d spend
a few minutes
lost in my world,

desperate to understand
who the characters were,
what they were doing,
what it all meant.

And as he began to understand,
he’d tell the other waiters
to come gather round:
“Look what this little kid drew!”

And before they threw the messy silverware in the bus tub,
before they went to collect the tips from their tables,
before they bothered to refill someone’s iced tea,
they’d enjoy

a few,
pleased
smiling moments,
glad to be graced

by
my
mind.
So now

before I set all the half-empty glasses on the tray,
before the silverware’s stocked up on the stack of dishes,
and before I crumple up everything paper and throw it all away,
I picture framing

whatever silly crayon patterns there are.
Take the two little wobbly hands
in my hands, turn the paper
into stained glass,

and replace
my aging skin
with these
windows.



1 comment: